Zalman Baruch Melamed
Zalman Baruch Melamed
הרב זלמן ברוך מלמד
|Title||Rosh Yeshiva 12 of the Beit El yeshiva|
Zalman Baruch Melamed (Hebrew: זלמן ברוך מלמד, born 1937) is an Israeli Orthodox rabbi and the rosh yeshiva of the Beit El yeshiva in Beit El. He founded the Arutz Sheva radio station, and served as neighborhood rabbi in Beit El until 2013.
Zalman Baruch Melamed was born in Tel Aviv in 1937. He studied at Kfar Haroeh yeshiva high school, and was among the founders of Yeshivat Kerem B'Yavneh. After a year, in 1954, he transferred to study at Mercaz Harav yeshiva. There, he became very close to the Rosh Yeshiva, Rabbi Zvi Yehuda Kook.
He studied at Mercaz HaRav yeshiva for about a decade, teaching there as well. In 1978, he founded the Beit El yeshiva.
In 1988, Rabbi Melamed founded the Arutz Sheva radio station "to combat the 'negative thinking' and 'post-Zionist' attitudes so prevalent in Israel's liberal-left media". His wife Shulamit manages its day-to-day operations.
Visiting the Temple Mount
Views on Israeli citizenship
Rabbi Melamed has stated that, "There must be legislation allowing Jewish people everywhere in the world to become Israeli citizens, even if they do not live here." Melamed viewed this as a way to shore up Israel's Jewish demographic in elections. At the same time, he advocated that certain Arab citizens of Israel should be stripped of their citizenship: "Even those with a democratic viewpoint understand that we must limit the rights of those who wish to harm the State. There are many non-Jews in Israel who are striving to undermine the country." According to Melamed, "These people should not be able to vote who sits in the Knesset or determine who leads the country. The law must dictate that the subversive cannot be citizens."
- "הרב זלמן מלמד הודיע במפתיע על פרישה מתפקידו כרב היישוב בית אל". kipa.co.il. Retrieved 29 July 2018.
- "Bet El High Yeshiva". Israel National News. Retrieved 28 July 2018.
- "Israel legalises religious pirate radios". BBC News. 24 February 1999. Retrieved 31 December 2015.
- Rabbi Melamed, "Indifference toward the Temple Mount; The Temple Mount Off Limits", Yeshiva.org.il, 25 Dec. 2001
- Rabbi Melamed, "Non-Jews Forbidden on Temple Mount", israelnationalnews.com, 8 Oct. 2009
- Nahshoni, Kobi," Rabbi: Revoke citizenship of non-Jews," Ynet, 28 April 2008
Media related to Zalman Baruch Melamed at Wikimedia Commons
- Shiurim by Rabbi Zalman Baruch Melamed at Yeshiva.org.il